What is Directory Sync?What Identity Providers Does OfficeTogether Integrate With?What Is Included in the Directory Sync Feature?How Do I Setup Directory Sync?Why Isn't the Setup Process More Automated?
Many companies store their employee's information in an IDP (Identity Provider), which is the central source of truth across all applications used by a company. IDPs allow companies to add, delete, and update users in one place, and have changes take place across all applications their employees use (OfficeTogether, Microsoft, Gmail, etc.).
Some common IDPs are:
- Azure SD
The OfficeTogether Directory Sync feature allows OfficeTogether to automatically create, inactivate, and update users when you make changes in your IDP. Information about your employees: such as their department and division, are automatically imported into OfficeTogether and are searchable within the platform.
OfficeTogether partners with WorkOS for Directory Sync integration. Click here for the list of IDPs currently supported.
The Directory Sync Feature includes the following:
- Automatic syncing between your IDP and OfficeTogether every 24 hours
- Automatic Importing of each employee's Department and Division
- Automatic Importing of 3 other custom fields as Tags
- OfficeTogether Power Search: Filter users by Department, Division, Office, and Tag anywhere across the OfficeTogether Platform
The setup process differs based on which IDP you use. The setup process typically requires approximately 30 minutes of time from your IT team to provide OfficeTogether access to your IDP. The steps are as follows:
- To add Directory Sync to your subscription reach out to your Customer Success Manager or email email@example.com. Be sure to let us know who your IDP is (see the list above).
- A support engineer will reach out to you with instructions to connect your IDP to OfficeTogether, as well as some required security credentials that are specific to your organization. This ensures that no other OfficeTogether customers have access to your employee's personal information. These instructions typically take about 30 min of time to complete, and must be completed by someone who has admin access to your IDP.
- Once you complete the instructions; the OfficeTogether team will take a look at your directory structure, and map all the fields to fields within the OfficeTogether app. This typically happens within 1 business day.
- Your directory will begin automatically syncing between your IDP and OfficeTogether! Enjoy the beauty of seamless integration!
The setup process for Directory Sync is a bit more manual than other integrations, such as Slack or SSO. There are two reasons for this:
Security: Because directory sync gives OfficeTogether access to your employee's personal information, it is critical that other customers at OfficeTogether do not have access to your employee's information. This means we have to generate some secret codes that are used by your IT team during the setup process, to ensure no one else can sniff out your employees information.
Unique Directory Structures: Each company organizes their directory in different ways to support their business needs. For example, some organizations store their employees names as 'firstName' and 'lastName', others store it as 'first_name' and 'last_name', etc. Once we get access to your directory, there is a small amount of work required by our engineering team to ensure OfficeTogether knows how to interpret each field coming from your directory, since every directory looks different.